More vege action this weekend, as the temperature plummets, with Mushroom and Leek Stew from epicurious. We ordered a leek in the vege box this week, and I noticed a jar of pearl barley in the pantry. I searched for Leek Barley soup, and came up with this one.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks (about 2 small stalks; white and pale green parts only)
- 1 8-ounce container sliced crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 cups (or more) vegetable broth
- baby spinach
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add leeks; sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until leeks begin to soften, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, and rosemary; increase heat to medium-high and sauté until mushrooms soften and begin to brown, stirring often, about 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice; stir 1 minute. Add barley and 4 cups broth; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until barley is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add sinach; stir until wilted, about 1 minute. Cover and simmer until kale and barley are tender, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls as needed for desired stew consistency, about 10 minutes.
Need to experiment with making vegetable stock from scratch for future efforts.